Tooth Extraction Las Vegas
Tooth extraction is the removal of a tooth from its socket in the bone.
If a tooth has been broken or damaged by decay, your dentist will try to fix it with a filling, crown or other treatment. Sometimes, though, there’s too much damage for the tooth to be repaired. In this case, the tooth needs to be extracted. A very loose tooth also will require extraction if it can’t be saved, even with bone replacement surgery (bone graft).
Here are other reasons for a tooth extraction:
- Some people have extra teeth that block other teeth from coming in.
- Baby teeth don’t fall out in time to allow the permanent teeth to come in.
- Braces recipients may need teeth extracted to create room for the teeth that are being moved into place.
- Necessary radiation treatment to the head and neck may need to have teeth in the field of radiation extracted.
- Cancer drugs may develop infected teeth because these drugs weaken the immune system. Infected teeth may need to be extracted.
- Wisdom teeth, also called third molars, are often extracted either before or after they come in. They commonly come in during the late teens or early 20s. They need to be removed if they are decayed, cause pain or have a cyst or infection. These teeth often get stuck in the jaw (impacted) and do not come in. This can irritate the gum, causing pain and swelling. In this case, the tooth must be removed. If you need all four wisdom teeth removed, they are usually taken out at the same time.
Call us if you feel that you may need a tooth extraction. At Hudson Family Dental, we will take great care of you.